St.Louis, MO Artist, LA Marler (Louise Anne Marler) announces a new cultural arts gallery to the Cherokee Street community. This unique gallery of typewriter antiques and art will open Saturdays, starting October 9, 2021 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
TypOsphere StL is located at 2308 Cherokee Street near the southeast corner of Jefferson on Cherokee, where antique row meets the integrated arts. “This community embraces up-cycling, history, education, creativity, and retro-style, so it is the ideal location for this concept gallery,” said Louise Marler.
Her family-business is a local history story: Three generations of St. Louis typewriter repair and salespeople who collected most of the machines here that can be experienced in fun and inspiring ways with historic and educational information.
This unique cultural art center is designed to be an analog digital-detox room. A place where you can restore your nostalgic comfort of simpler times: writing and typing of poems, songs, letters and cards, then sending and receiving, as central in our culture. Jacqueline Kennedy said, “The written thank you message is a linchpin of civilization.”
TypOsphere StL brings together people across the Midwest region as a unique destination that encourages typing for pleasure, expression, and enlightenment.
Features of this Opening Day Event include:
• Tom Hanks’ autographed typewriter from his famous collection that he recently donated. (Auction forthcoming)
• Evangeline Whitlock, Professor at Webster University, discusses the recent StoryCorps recording of
Typewriters’ Friends in the Pandemic and her 25 machine donations to this mini museum.
• Ron Thurber, SLU Graduate student, discusses how he scientifically researched and cataloged the collection.
• Lisa Simani discusses the value of collecting inspiring art to have in your home and workspace. Bling your Zoom!
• Reginald Quarles at Teatopia is a neighboring business who will sponsor Tea & Typing monthly.
• Rock Harris, a local collector and IT professional, will discuss technology now and then. He will also host monthly meetings for the St. Louis Typers’ Union meetups here.
• Contemporary typewriter art exhibit; nationally collected works from LA.
• BYOT – Bring Your Own Typewriter to show and tell your typewriter story.
• WORD Selfie Wall: Post, tag, check-in and enter to WIN.
• Typing: Type a note and mail it. Supplies offered: paper, envelopes, ink ribbons, stamps.
About the artist and curator: LA Marler (Louise Anne Marler) is an American Photo Artist, whose digital photography features vintage machines, including her “Famous TypOwriters” and“camERA Art” collections. Louise is a third generation typewriter collector, who creates mixed-media images from original photography, graphics and illustrations, fine digital printing and painting and other techniques. Louise has also produced events, and exhibitions nationally.